Given all the factors to look at when choosing a summer program, it’s important to focus on the security of a Summer Camp. There are several things that should be taken into account: location, facilities, staff, medical support and activities are all points to consider.
Choosing a Great Summer Program: Advice for Parents
What is a good program?
Good summer programs encourage kids to learn new things about themselves and to explore unfamiliar activities. As you begin to research programs, you should ask how a program will influence your children now and in the future.
What about ILC’s program?
At ILC, our language programs not only offer an opportunity to learn a foreign language but also encourage campers to discover new cultures, to make new friends from around the world , to value different activities, to learn to live and work with others, to get involved with an international community and, most importantly, to exceed their own expectations.
Everything is designed to establish an atmosphere of confidence and we encourage the campers to be active in their own learning, creating the desire to continue to learn and to communicate.
Questions to ask to evaluate the security of the camp
Parents often ask about the ratio of campers to counselors. While that’s a valid question, the maturity and experience of the staff is of utmost importance. Here are 9 important questions concerning safety at ILC and our answers.
- What is the ratio of counselors to children? The staff/child ratio is above the current requirement by the French government. We have one adult for six children maximum.
- How do you select counselors and the service providers? All our counselors have been carefully selected in accordance with ILC criteria for skills and experience in working with children. Our team members are selected for their experience with children, for their age and their training. They all speak both French and English. All the service providers are qualified in their relevant activities (mountain guide, ski instructor…). Our dedicated and enthusiastic team of staff is 100% focused on the safety of the participants and the smooth running of the activities programs. Our staff are typically aged 18 to 28, and are fun, outdoors loving people from all over the world. All activity staff must be able to provide us with a copy of a police statement from their country of origin showing a clean record.
- Is there medical personnel on the staff? Our camps have a qualified medical counselor and we have a doctor just near the camp.
- What would happen in the event of an emergency? In the event of illness or accident, we are only minutes away from our doctor. We have a hospital in Sallanches only 15 minutes away or just 5 minutes by helicopter.
- Do your counselors carry mobile phones in case of emergency?
All our counselors carry a mobile phone at all times that allows them to react very quickly in case of emergency.
- Is the health insurance and accidents coverage included?
Our company, our team and the participants are covered in case of: accident, civil responsibility, defense and assistance. Personal effects of minors are not covered (send clothing which is not expensive and not easily soiled). Repatriation of minors is not covered. We recommend you take out repatriation insurance.
- How do you deal with weather conditions? Sports and activities are practiced only in suitable conditions and we are well informed of any weather condition changes. If necessary we modify the day’s program according to the weather conditions.
- How are the kids supervised?
Security is an essential part of our camps: the children are supervised 24 hours a day. There’s always a counselor with them.
- What is the experience and history of your camp?
ILC has been operating since 1996. The resort of Megève became the main base of ILC, a French ski resort with an international reputation.